Meatloaf is a comfort food. It’s usually made with bread cubes or bread crumbs to tenderize the loaf … which for KETO is a big NO NO. KETO-ing a traditional recipe you already have, you can substitute almond flour for breadcrumbs, as I have done here. Or choose another product which you are comfortable with.
The sauce on top … forget the store-bought ketchup if you are eating KETO. A tomato BBQ-ish topping is great on meatloaf. Tomato Paste & Dijon Mustard. Sweet n’ Sour by using Allulose Monk Fruit blend and Apple Cider Vinegar. A few spices round out the flavor.
Using both Ground Beef and Pork would make this meatloaf really shine all the more. As it is with just two lbs. of ground beef you’ll still hear the praises from those around the table.
Meatloaf with Caramelized Onions
- Frying pan
- Sauce pan
- 1 Onion, quartered and sliced, then caramelized (make ahead of time is fine)
- 2 lb Ground Beef, or Bison, or a mix with half Ground Pork
- 1 cup Almond Flour
- 2 Large Eggs
- 1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese (4 ounces)
- 1 tbsp Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 2 tsp Dried Basil
- 1 tsp Granulated Garlic
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/2 tsp Dried Thyme
BBQ Sauce Topping
- 4 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 3 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 4 tbsp Allulose with Monk Fruit blend for sugar 1:1
- 1 cup Water, spring or filtered
- 1/8 tsp Ground Cloves
- 1/8 tsp Ground Ginger
- 3/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 tsp Granulated Garlic
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Caramelize the sliced onions and let them cool down.
- Combine the rest of the meatloaf ingredients and mix well, adding in the caramelized onions during that mixing.
- Form meat mixture into one large loaf, or 2 smaller loaves, or into individual portions as desired.
- Place meatloaves onto a parchment lined cooking sheet, or in an appropriate oven-able dish of your choice.
- Place dish(es) into preheated oven, and bake for one hour.
- Meanwhile in a small saucepan prepare the BBQ sauce for topping the meatloaf.
- Add all the sauce topping ingredients and mix together, heating over a medium heat until the Allulose has melted and let the sauce begin to simmer. Put a lid on letting the sauce simmer gently until the meatloaf is ready to be sauced.
- Top the cooked meatloaf with a layer of sauce and return the oven for 10 minutes. Repeat one or two or three times to get a the thickness of sauce you desire.
- Slice and serve. Enjoy!